Friday, September 26, 2014

CALLING ME HOME, written by Julie Kibler, author ~ recommended by Kathryn Craft, author

Author / Writer / Book Lover - which are you?

KC ~All of the above! Book lover since first grade; professional writer since 1983; author since my debut, THE ART OF FALLING, released in January. But I wouldn't have been the latter two without being a book lover first. Reading trumps all.

Title ~ CALLING ME HOME, published 2013

Author name ~ Julie Kibler

Type of book ~ Historical women's fiction
  
What is it about this book that pulled you in?

KC ~ Since I'm 57, I love the drive that results when you realize that time's a'wasting and you better act now, before it's too late. In this case there is a literal drive, from Texas to Cincinnati, where Miss Isabelle must lay a regret to rest.

I say that—but was it really the plot that drew me in? Equal to that draw were the opening lines: "I acted hateful to Dorrie the first time we met, a decade or so ago. A person gets up in years and she forgets to use her filters." That had me laughing, from sentence two. How can you resist such a voice?

Is there a  relationship in the story that resonated with you?  

KC ~ The relationship I loved was between Isabelle, white and almost 90, and her black hairdresser, Dorrie. I can't recall her age but Isabelle says she's old enough to be her grandmother, and that Dorrie is "like the daughter I never had." (So fun to go back and read beginnings and see how perfectly they set up all that is to come.)

Do you think that relationship was portrayed realistically?

KC ~ Yes, but not stereotypically. You'd think, with the white woman being Southern and older, that she might be condescending toward her African-American hairdresser, but she was considerate and curious and loving toward her. She expected things of her. I have benefitted from many intergenerational relationships over the years, whether I was the elder or the younger, and tend to write them in my own stories. I love them.

Anything else you want to tell us about the book without giving away too much of the plot?

KC ~ Thanks to sections of backstory, this book is not just about the friendship that creates this story's frame. There is a powerful love story as well, that leaves you wondering why the hell we treat our fellow humans the way we do sometimes. If you are the type who reads the end first to see if you'll like the story (I was APPALLED to learn that so many do this!): Don't. Allow yourself this journey.

JHA ~ Thank you so much, Kathryn, for being my first guest.  I truly appreciate it!  

JHA ~ Now how about you, reader?  Have you read CALLING ME HOME?  If so, what did you think of the book? 

To connect with Kathryn:


Website: www.kathryncraft.com

Blog: monthly posts at www.writersinthestormblog.com with my series “Turning Whine into Gold”

Twitter: @kcraftwriter

Facebook: www.facebook.com/KathrynCraftAuthor

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/kathryn_craft

7 comments:

  1. What a great start for this blog (and a great idea, too!). This is one of my favorite books. I love the relationship Isabelle and Dottie, too, and love the journeys they both travel - side-by-side. I think one of the things I liked best about this book was that it really was not stereotypical - there were so many places it could have been (and as a white person, it's still possible I am ignorantly overlooking aspects of black character and historical representation), but Kibler sidestepped them all with grace.

    This book made me cry, too - and though it gets easier to do as I get older, it is still an emotional feat for a book to accomplish. :D (It ends, I think, as it should, so don't let that crying thing stop you, k?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it too, Janet! And, I've read that the someone bought the movie rights. Wouldn't it make a great movie?

      Delete
    2. Yes, indeed! Exciting news for Kibler, for sure, too!

      Delete
  2. Hmm... I posted a comment before and it's not here. If this ends up a super-delayed duplicate, I apologize.

    Thanks for having me as your first guest, Jill! I love stories with unexpected friendships, and Miss Isabelle and Dottie were a great pairing. I hope your new blog creates many friendships among the reading and writing community. Waving hello to Janet Rundquist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, never saw your first post, Kathryn. It must be out in the blogasphere! I appreciate you being the first to jump in the guest pool, and I appreciate you recommending such a great book for readers!

      Delete
  3. How awesome you picked this book because it is one I loved. I may be a little prejudiced because Julie is my cousin and I am so proud of her and the success she has had with this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you are biased at all, Ann! This truly is a wonderful book, and I loved reading how Julie came up with the idea for the novel. :)

      Delete