Friday, October 17, 2014

FIVE DAYS LEFT, by author, Julie Lawson Timmer, recommended by author, Lori Nelson Spielman

LNS ~ Thank you so much for hosting me today, Jill. Congratulations on this new and exciting blog!

Author / Writer / Book Lover - which are you? Author of The Life List (and a book lover!)

Title of Fiction book and year it was published ~ Five Days Left, 2104

Author name ~ Julie Lawson Timmer

Type of book ~  Contemporary fiction, Women’s fiction, Book Club Fiction.

What is it about this book that pulled you in? 

LNS ~ I fell in love with the characters and their heartbreaking dilemmas. Smart and courageous Mara suffers from Huntington’s Disease. Even though I’ve had no experience with this illness, I empathized with this loving mother and wife and felt her angst in making life choices. The dialogue was so believable and the storyline so poignant.  Without giving anything away, I was held rapt, wondering how this story would end. I knew there was no easy or “good” option.

Is there a relationship in the story that resonated with you?

LNS ~ The book has two distinct stories—Mara, suffering from Huntington’s disease and contemplating ending her life in five days, and a second story of Scott, a man whose foster son will be returning to his mother in five days. Both storylines had wonderful, complex relationships intertwined. But my favorite relationship was the one between Mara and Harry, her taxi driver. Mara opens up to the driver, and the two share private pieces of their lives, resulting in an unlikely and very sweet friendship.

Do you think that relationship was portrayed realistically? 

LNS ~ I do. Mara is initially reserved and guarded. Once an energetic mother, wife and attorney, she’s horrified at her physical state, the fact that her body is betraying her. She mourns the loss of her independence. Harry treats her with dignity, and slowly opens up about his own struggles with secrets and shame.

Anything else you want to tell us about the book without giving away too much of the plot? 

LNS ~ Make sure you have a box of tissues available when you read this one. It’s heartbreaking. But it’s also incredibly well-written, bittersweet, and very thought provoking—a perfect book club pick. As I read, I wondered what I would do, in Mara’s position. Would I have the strength and courage to spare those I love from my horrible fate?

JHA ~ Thank you so much, Lori for taking the time to recommend a great book for everyone to read!  I enjoyed this book and hope you, the reader, do too!

If you'd like to connect with Lori:  

Twitter: @lnelsonspielman
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lori-Nelson-Spielman

Attention readers Have YOU read this book?  If so, tell us what YOU thought of it!

To follow our weekly book recommendations by guests, just click the "Follow by email" link on the right side of this page, or sign up on my website through blogger or google plus.  Also, I've been having some "issues" (that word covers a lot, doesn't it?) with my comments area in my blogs.  If you have problems, please email me, or feel free to leave a message on my Facebook page.  Thanks!

Interested in being a contributor? Contact me via email link on my website home page (www.JillHannahAnderson.com) You will also find the list of upcoming contributors under the Fridayfictionfriend tab.  I'd love to hear from you if you have a great book to recommend!






11 comments:

  1. I have a few questions for Julie. How much research did you need to do on Huntington's Disease? Did you know anyone with thedDisease? What made you choose HD for your story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, I did a *ton* of research on HD, I didn't know anyone who had it, and that's why I chose it. I had a friend who died of inoperable cancer, and another who was diagnosed with ALS. I didn't want to write their stories, so I looked for a different disease and found HD.

      I did months of research, reading every article, text book, memoir, etc I could find. After that, I wrote Mara's entire story, using the information I had. I then found an HD expert who was willing to discuss the book with me. I described each of Mara's scenes, and had the expert tell me if each scene was realistic or not, from an HD perspective. In many cases, I'd gotten some details wrong, so I revised the scenes to make them more accurate.

      After I got a book deal and started making revisions for my editor, I did another big round of research, reading more and consulting more experts. I was blown away by the willingness of the experts to help.

      It was so important to me to get the disease right, for the sake of everyone who has HD, and everyone who loves someone with HD. If I made any mistakes, those were my fault, not the fault of any of the experts.

      Delete
    2. I learned so much about HD just from reading your book. The insight and emotions you led the reader through were so believable and heartfelt, which made the reality of HD front and center. Great story!

      Delete
  2. I loved Five Days Left. What is your next book about, Julie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon,

      Thanks for your comment. I'm thrilled that you loved the book!

      My second book is about step parenting, adoption and "rehoming," the practice where people adopt children and then give them away privately, without background checks or supervision. I hope you'll like that one, too!

      Delete
  3. I love finding new authors! Thanks so much for recommending this, Lori. And Julie, I'm looking forward to reading and learning. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Lori mentioned, Normandie, you'll want a box of tissues close by. A very emotional read!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome, Normandie. You're in for an emotional treat.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, just the description of the plot had me reaching for a tissue! Adding to my TBR list right now. I love books that teach me something new. Thanks, Jill and Lori and Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Christine. And you're right, you'll learn a lot about Huntington's Disease. You'll also find yourself wondering what you'd do, in the same situation. Enjoy Julie's book and thanks for chiming in here.

      Delete