Friday, November 7, 2014

HUSH LITTLE BABY, by AUTHOR, SUZANNE REDFEARN, recommended by AUTHOR, MARY KUBICA

Author / Writer / Book Lover - which are you?
MK ~ All of the above!  My debut novel THE GOOD GIRL was published by Harlequin MIRA in July 2014.  I’m also an avid reader. 

(Side note by Jill here... our guest contributor's book, THE GOOD GIRL, is currently one of the nominees listed in the 2014 Goodreads debut author category!)

Title of Fiction book and year published
HUSH LITTLE BABY  ~ 2013

Author name                          Type of book 
Suzanne Redfearn                     Suspense

***This book will be given away to one lucky winner ~ see below***

What is it about this book that pulled you in?

MK ~ HUSH LITTLE BABY is the story of Jillian Kane, a successful mother and architect, trapped in an abusive marriage.  I loved the suspense element, as well as the family bonds that are explored during the novel.  It is a profound, edge-of-your-seat thriller that does not let up until you reach the very last page.  The most intensity lies in the relationship of Jillian and her abusive, controlling police officer husband, Gordon.  There is no way out of this marriage for Jillian other than to run – and even that, Jillian comes to discover quite quickly, is not so easy.  I can’t recall the last time a book sucked me in as suddenly and as vehemently as HUSH LITTLE BABY.  An excellent, thought-provoking, haunting read!    

Is there a relationship in the story that resonated with you?

MK ~ The relationship that resonated with me was that of Jillian and her children, Addie and Drew.  As a mother myself, I saw the ways that Jillian struggled in her role as mother, while simultaneously putting her children’s needs and safety before her own.  She grows as a mother throughout the novel.  I was also quite taken with Jillian’s relationship with her own parents, in particular her father.  Jillian and her father have a very close knit bond, though he is in a powerless position and unable to save her from Gordon.

Do you think that relationship was portrayed realistically?

MK ~Yes, the relationships were portrayed realistically, which made the novel all the more terrifying - and poignant – for me to read.  Redfearn shows how the victims of abuse are found sometimes where we least expect them.  On the surface the Kane family is your typical family next door – she the successful architect, he the revered police officer – but under the surface there is much, much more. 

Anything else you want to tell us about the book without giving away too much of the plot?

MK ~ HUSH LITTLE BABY is a fast paced, wild ride - and once you get on this ride, there’s no getting off.  I could not put the book down once I began to read.  I was touched and haunted and horrified by the turns of events all at the same time.  I don’t want to spoil any of the heart-pounding, heart-wrenching details, but this is one book you don’t want to miss.  Highly recommended! 

JHA ~ Thanks so much, Mary, for recommending what sounds like a fantastic book!  Definitely have to add it to my TBR stack!

If you'd like to connect with Mary, you can find her here:




Attention readers Have YOU read this book?  If so, tell us what YOU thought of it!

***TO WIN A COPY OF THIS GREAT BOOK - Please leave a comment below (if the comment box doesn't show, open the comments by clicking on the red 'comment' word below photo of the book), or comment on my Facebook page (under Jill Hannah Anderson). If you 'LIKE' my Facebook page, you get an extra entry in the drawing!  Winner will be picked on Sunday, November 9th.

Thank you so much, Suzanne Redfearn for your generous donation!

To follow this weekly book blog, just click the "Follow by email" link on the right side of this page, or sign up on my website through blogger or google plus.  

Interested in being a contributor? Contact me via email link on my website home page (www.JillHannahAnderson.com) You will also find the list of upcoming contributors under the Fridayfictionfriend tab.  I'd love to hear from you if you have a great book to recommend.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, this book sounds totally compelling! Adding to my TBR list. Thank you, Suzanne, Mary and Jill! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing book - I can't say enough good things about it. Hope you love it as much as I did, Christine!

      Delete
  2. I am excited to read it too, Christine. It sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne, I am wondering how the idea for this story started. Can you give us a little background of what made you write this book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Mary, for recommending this book. I am heading to my Goodreads to add it to my list now. Mary, do you think that this book can have a positive influence on women in raising awareness about the complexities of abusive relationships?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, absolutely, Susan. It's very eye opening - in a realistic and terrifying way. I believe that HUSH LITTLE BABY both raises awareness about women in domestic abuse situations, and stresses the fact that that sometimes these things happen where we least expect them. As is shown in the novel, it is often times not an easy situation to escape. I hope you enjoy, Susan. This is one novel that will stick with you for a long time.

      Delete
  5. Another fun recommendation, Jill. Thanks to you and Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a terrifying situation. Sometimes those stories are hard for me to read because they are so realistic. And, it's true, someone you might know very well is living in a nightmare behind closed doors. Thanks for the review!
    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds a book I'm going to have to put on my "Must Read" list! Win a copy or not…..this is a story I'd be interested in exploring even though I may find it disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Mary, for choosing HUSH LITTLE BABY! And, Jill, for posting about it. The story was inspired by friends of mine who were going through a horrible divorce. There was a lot of he said/she said, and it was impossible to know who was telling the truth. It made me realize the power one spouse has to destroy the other. The idea was originally about marital sabotage and evolved into one about domestic violence and how far a mother will go to protect her children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a very interesting premise for your story, Suzanne! I agree, most people when going through a divorce say/do things out of spite, anger, hurt, and most of it is fueled by emotion (I've gone through a divorce so am adding myself to that group!) What an interesting twist to put on it as yes, we all have no idea what goes on behind closed doors in other homes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adding this to my TBR list. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is on my TBR list now too, Kelly. Mary did a great job of reeling us in, didn't she? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the recommendation, Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Winner of Suzanne's book, drawn from the names of people who left comments here or on my Facebook page, or 'LIKED' my Facebook page, is Ginny McDonald!

    ReplyDelete