Friday, November 21, 2014

THE KITCHEN HOUSE, by author, KATHLEEN GRISSOM ~ recommended by book lover, Jamie Leigh Anderson

Author / Writer / Book Lover - which are you?
JLA ~ Book Lover

Title of Fiction book
The Kitchen House             published in 2010

Author name                    Type of book
Kathleen Grissom              Historical Fiction

***A signed copy of this great book will be given away this weekend!  See information below!*** Also, Kathleen will be stopping in here to answer a few questions or comments!

What is it about this book that pulled you in?

JLA ~ The constant tragedy and that these things actually happened to people back then.

The book takes place in 1791. Lavinia arrives on a tobacco plantation after coming over on a ship with her family from Ireland. She becomes orphaned on the trip over and is sent to live with the slaves who work in the kitchen house. She becomes part of their family and doesn't understand the differences between her new family and the family who lives in the big house. Lavinia is taken under the wing of Belle, who is the master's illegitimate daughter and eventually is allowed into the big house, again not understanding the two different worlds. 
 
The relationships are realistic, the plantation workers all watch out for each other, while the master's son Marshall, along with the plantation overseer, make the plantation workers lives miserable. It is full of tragedy and holds your attention throughout the entire book.
 
Is there a relationship in the story that resonated with you?  

JLA ~ Probably Belle’s relationships with everyone, that she doesn’t have a real family but feels like she is a part of her kitchen house family. The fact that Marshall and Martha hate her but have no idea who she really is.

Do you think that relationship was portrayed realistically?

JLA ~ Yes, I’m sure that happened often where the master of the house had children with the slaves and those children weren’t allowed to be a part of the family.

Anything else you want to tell us about the book without giving away too much of the plot?

JLA ~ It is good from start to finish. You don’t have to take time to get into it, it is interesting and devastating right from the beginning and I absolutely loved it. It’s the best book I’ve ever read!

JHA ~ Thanks so much, Jamie, for taking the time to recommend a terrific book to us! 

Attention readers Have YOU read this book?  If so, tell us what YOU thought of it!

To follow our weekly book recommendations by guests, just click the "Follow by email" link on the right side of this page, or sign up on my website through blogger or google plus.  


***TO WIN A COPY OF THIS GREAT BOOK - Please leave a comment below (you can open the comments by clicking on the red 'comment' word below photo of the book), or comment on my Facebook page (under Jill Hannah Anderson). If you 'LIKE' my Facebook page (not the post itself) at https://www.facebook.com/jillhannah.anderson?ref=hl  you get an extra entry in the drawing!  Winner will be picked on Sunday, November 23rd.





18 comments:

  1. This book is one of my all-time favorites and I can't wait for Kathleen's next novel to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard of this book, but the topic is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fantastic book, Susan! Can I get your last name so I can put it in the drawing? Thanks. :)

      Delete
  3. This book was already on my TBR pile but it's getting moved up after reading this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathleen, what motivated you to write this story? What type of research did you do to give it authenticity?
    Thanks for the great review, Jamie.
    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a question for you, Kathleen, I had read a year or so ago that someone bought the movie rights to TKH. Is there a possible movie in the future? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathleen, I really enjoyed the book, and was wondering when your next one is coming out and what it is about? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi everyone and thank you, both Jamie and Jill, for including me in this. I'll answer some questions now and check back later to see if there are more.

    Mary, the motivation began almost as an obsession when I saw a notation on an old map that said 'Negro Hill'. I was driven to discover what happened there. After a good amount of research, slowly the story began to reveal itself to me. My research included reading old court records, visiting renovated plantations and studying the many details of Colonial Williamsburg.

    Jill, we have been approached by a number of producers for the movie rights, but to date nothing has been signed.

    Don, my next book is Jamie's story - Belle's son from TKH. It takes place in 1830 and Jamie, now 33 years old, is living the life of a wealthy aristocrat in Philadelphia society. But, he is passing as white. When he goes down south on business he comes up against Sukey, who was also sold from Tall Oakes, and who is still enslaved. Then the fireworks start!

    The manuscript will very shortly be in my editor's hands.

    Have a great afternoon. I'll check back later.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, very exciting news about your next book, Kathleen! I had heard about the subject recently on NPR at http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2014/10/07/354310370/a-chosen-exile-black-people-passing-in-white-america and it sounded fascinating. The Kitchen House has been on my TBR list and now I can't wait to get my hands on BOTH of your books! Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, Kathleen, for the insight into your next book. Ugh, to wait for the long process of it being published! ;) I can't decide if I actually want a movie of TKH to be made as so many movies disappoint in delivering anything as good as the novel.
    A couple years ago you mentioned working on a novel about Crow Mary? Will that still be next?
    Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you the best, Kathleen. It's so exciting to have a wonderful book appear and then to be on to the next. I know it takes hard word and never turning back. YOU MADE IT HAPPEN.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I'm back. :)
    Thanks, Christine, for passing along that information. Passing as white is very painful and difficult for Jamie, as you might imagine. It is pivotal in shaping his life and in the life choices that he makes.

    Jill, Crow Mary's story is next in line. As soon as Jamie's story is out there, it is back to research about Crow Mary's life.

    Beth, you are so right! Doing the work and moving forward will get the job done. :)

    I'll check back in later this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Can't wait to read Jamie's story. I'm hoping that something really physically painfull happens to Marshall........

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is Jamie Leigh Anderson, and I wanted to thank you, Kathleen, first for writing such a great book, and also for tellling us about your next book. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all! This was fun. Jill, please be in touch with the winner of the book. :)
    Thank you again, Jamie, for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathleen. I can't thank you enough for taking the time out of your busy day to stop by and let us know what you've been doing. I'll be counting the weeks (okay, months!) until we get to read Jamie's story. I think it's time for me to re-read TKH again! I'll email you Sunday with the winner's name. I appreciate this so much!

      Delete
  15. So cool! SO sorry I missed the author chat, I had just returned from Florida late Thursday after 3 weeks of work and was wiped out yesterday... still kind of am :) As I mentioned before, I loved this book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Christine Adler was the name pulled out of the hat! There were 16 entries between the blog comments and ones on my Facebook page (along with new 'likes'). I messaged you on FB, Christine, if you can send me your mailing address so Kathleen can send you THE KITCHEN HOUSE. Congratulations! Thanks again, Kathleen!

    ReplyDelete