Friday, February 13, 2015

WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER'S "CORK O'CONNOR" SERIES, recommended by Don Anderson

Author / Writer / Book Lover - which are you?

DA ~ Book Reader

Title of book & year published     Cork O’Connor Series

Author name          William Kent Krueger

Type of book          Mystery

What is it about this book that pulled you in?

DA ~ I was given the book “Lake of the Woods” to read while on vacation a year and a half ago. I couldn’t put it down. The story was gripping, and it took place in an area of the state I am very familiar with. I had stayed at the resort referred to in the book, as well as fishing around the countless islands of the lake.

Once the story led to Henry Meloux, I was hooked. Henry is a very old Native American of the Anishinabeg people, otherwise known as Ojibway. He is a Mide, sometimes referred to a medicine man, or healer. His real age is unknown. In the earlier books, he is described to be at least in his eighties. As the series goes on, he’s probably in his 90’s, maybe pushing 100. Most readers might agree that he is the heart and soul of the series.

Is there a relationship in the story that resonated with you?

DA ~ Cork has many intertwined relationships, including his wife, children, parents, inlaws, friends and co-workers.

The books in the series all contain many sub-plots, occurring at the same time between different characters in the stories.  Many of these relationships continue throughout the series.  I believe this is why I couldn't wait to get to the next one.....to discover what happens between the many characters.

The most compelling of these has to be between Cork and Henry Meloux.  Each story reveals more of what has happened between them and to them in the past.  Their time together has been a mix of fun, humor, adventure, spirituality, tragedy, pain and loss.  Many times, each of them has risked his life for the other.  Only with the help of Henry's uncanny intuition is Cork able to understand how to proceed in his investigation of each mystery.  The families of these two men are also dragged into sometimes tragic events as a result of Cork”s investigations.

Do you think that relationship was portrayed realistically?

DA ~ Personalities possessed by these two characters would be few and far between.  I doubt that one could find many relationships such as theirs in real life, but just the possibility is what I find most interesting. 

Anything else you want to tell us about the book without giving away too much of the plot?

DA ~ Each story begins with a tragic event that happens in or around Cork's home town of Aurora, Minnesota.  Cork becomes involved either through personal relationships, or through his job of County Sheriff, or later, as a private investigator.  The events include murder, kidnapping, gang activity and sexual exploitation.  Cork, his friends and family are often affected by these events, sometimes in tragic ways.                                                                                                                                                      
The process of solving the mystery involves many people, often including his family, and always with the aid of Henry Meloux.   

Indicated by some of the titles, the stories take place in and around Minnesota.  Many Minnesotans will be familiar with the towns, streets and businesses mentioned in the stories.
I devoured all the books in the series in a few short months.  For fans of well-written mystery, I heartily recommend all of Mr. Krueger's books!

JHA Thanks so much, Don (my wonderful husband!), for recommending this amazing author! (I had the pleasure of meeting William Kent Krueger recently ~ photo below.)

Interested in being a contributor for this blog? Contact me via email link on my website home page (www.JillHannahAnderson.com) at jilla27@gmail.com. 

You will also find the list of upcoming contributors under the Fridayfictionfriend tab.  I'd love to hear from you if you have a great book to recommend.





26 comments:

  1. I had the pleasure of meeting this author recently, and not only is he a great author, but a very interesting speaker too. His novels are loved by both men and women alike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the invitation to be a part of the discussion, Jill. I'm looking forward to my visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr Krueger, when can we look forward to your new book release? I love following your travels on Face book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, the next book I'll publish will be the companion novel to Ordinary Grace. It's called This Tender Land, and will be out in the spring of 2016. Like Ordinary Grace, it's set in southern Minnesota and in an earlier time. The next Cork O'Connor novel will be published the following fall. Thanks for asking, and I'm happy to know that someone reads my Facebook page! Kent

      Delete
  4. I gave my dad the first on in the series for his 80th Birthday last year. He really liked it. He also enjoyed Ordinary Grace. Thanks for writing these compelling stories. How old were you when you "knew" you were born to be a writer? When did you start sharing your stories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to be a storyteller. The first story I ever wrote was in the third grade. It was called The Walking Dictionary--about a dictionary that didn't think it was being used enough, so it sprouted legs and walked out into the world to go to the people who needed it. My teacher went ga-ga. My folks went ga-ga. In the third grade, I heard destiny call my name. Thanks for asking! Kent

      Delete
  5. I am curious about how you choose certain locations in your stories. For example, in Duluth, Aitkin & Thunder Bay. Do you visit these towns and pick out streets, businesses, or houses to use in the story, or do you visit Mapquest or Google earth, or just make them up? Keep the stories coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just make them up!!!!! Horrors!!!! No, I visit all these places, drive a lot of streets, take a lot of pictures with my camera, and when I finally sit down to pen the story, I have a pretty good image in my mind of the setting for every scene. And I promise to keep the stories coming. Kent

      Delete
  6. I absolutely loved ORDINARY GRACE, and I know you said the next novel coming out is a sequel of sorts to that book. After that, are you back to more Cork O'Connor novels? Thanks so much, Kent, for taking the time out of your busy schedule to stop by here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I indicated to Susan, I'll be publishing the next in the Cork O'Connor series in the fall of 2016, about six months following the release of This Tender Land. Glad you enjoyed Ordinary Grace. As much as I love writing about Cork and his family and Henry Meloux, Ordinary Grace is my own favorite novel.

      Delete
  7. I have read many of your books and enjoyed all, especially Ordinary Grace. I can't wait for a sequel. I just got a copy of Windigo Island yesterday and am intending to curl up and savor it this weekend. Thanks for being such an accessible author. I loved your presentation at Wine and Words in Brainerd in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been invited to return to the Wine and Words celebration this year, and I've accepted. Will I see you there again? It's a great event and a good cause. Kent

      Delete
    2. LOL.... The "author" is out of the bag... I had not told the board who was coming to Wine and Words yet! :) *waves at Sue!*

      Delete
    3. I wondered about that, Sheila! Well now all Kent's groupies... I mean readers can sign up for W & W now, knowing they'll be well entertained. Kent signing on just made up my husband's mind that he'll be going to W & W with me this year!

      Delete
  8. Hi Kent, I'm pasting a comment here from the head librarian at the Hallett Memorial Library in Crosby. She had problems getting her comment to post.
    Here is my comment:
    The patrons and staff of the Hallett Library are looking forward to your Author Talk on 4-23-15. You are our #1 requested and checked-out author! Can you tell us a little bit about your companion (sequel?) book to Ordinary Grace? Characters? Time Period? Setting? Etc.
    While we wait for this new publication, we will continue to sell raffle tickets for a chance for a lucky winner to dine with you & Mrs. K!

    Peggi B.
    Jessie F. Hallett Memorial Library

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need some raffle tickets. Will stop in to the librRy when we return from Arizona

      Delete
    2. Jill, Please pass this along to Peggi: This Tender Land is a bit more a mystery than was Ordinary Grace. It involves the mysterious death of tyrannical land baron (big acreage farmer) in southern Minnesota in 1958. The men who've returned from World Wars and from the Korean Conflict, the women who've fought their own wars, and the Dakota Conflict of 1862, all play important parts in the story. Here are the opening lines:

      "Channel catfish are the worse kind of scavengers. They're bottom feeders, mud suckers, river vultures. Channel cats will eat anything. Let me tell you how they came to eat Jimmy Quinlan."

      Enough of a teaser?

      Delete
    3. Will do.Thanks, Kent, now we are all counting the months until it comes out in 2016! :)

      Delete
  9. LOVE William Kent Krueger! Not only is he an amazing author, but he is a wonderful friend to our communities too. Cant wait to see what is next for Cork. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. And sorry if I let the cat out of the bag. I was just so excited!

      Delete
  10. WKK told me at a book signing that he has loved the name Aurora. I am from that part of the Iron Range and feel proud that he developed his stories around Aurora and the Boundary Waters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an area that begs to be written about. I just happened to be available.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for having me, Jill. Was fun! Now to a good candlelight dinner with my wife.

    Blessings,
    Kent

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank YOU, Kent, for taking the time to answer our questions, and to whet our appetite for your next novel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will share this with my husband, Jill. I know he will be interested. Your blog is bringing great books to us. THANK YOU. Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, yes, my husband always watched TV before bed each night... until he picked up his first WKK novel and was hooked! He read every single book of his, then turned to other, similar authors. Now he can't go to sleep without reading first. :) Kent is a true author for both men and women!

      Delete