Friday, February 6, 2015

THE STORIED LIFE OF A.J. FIKRY, by author, Gabrielle Zevin, recommended by author, Wendy Paine Miller

Author / Writer / Book Lover - which are you?

WPM ~ All of the above. THE DISAPPEARING KEY & THE FLOWER GIRLS are two of my novels. THE DELICATE NATURE OF LOVE releases next week! 
(Congrats to Wendy on her newest book release this next week!)

Title of Fiction book and year it was published

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry (2014)

Author name    Gabrielle Zevin

Type of book    Literary, Contemporary Fiction

What is it about this book that pulled you in?

WPM ~ The characterization, and that it takes place on an island and mostly in a bookstore.

Is there a relationship in the story that resonated with you? 

WPM ~ I appreciated watching A.J.’s relationship evolve with the community.

I also adored reading what happened with A.J. and the baby. That’s all I’ll share about that so as not to give anything away. But that relationship changed him, it pulled him out of his grief and it was entirely engaging to witness.

Do you think that relationship was portrayed realistically?

WPM ~ Yes. Zevin accomplished what all the best writers are able to. She sloughed off the unnecessary and trivial in order to reveal deeper, layered relationships that have that magical way of floating off the page and sinking inside the reader, inciting reflection. She imbued humor with great tragedy. No sugarcoating. No wrapping it up with a bow. Purely realistic and raw in its beauty.

Anything else you want to tell us about the book without giving away too much of the plot?

WPM ~ I love how important book clubs became in the community and in the bookstore. For years I’ve been an avid book club fan. One of my favorite parts of being an author is that now I have an excuse to visit many dynamic groups, local and via Skype.

Also, I rarely cry while reading books. I cried hard at the end of this book. It was beautiful. The cry and the book.

If author or writer, your social media links:

http://thoughtsthatmove.blogspot.com/

JHA ~ Thanks so much, Wendy, for recommending this best-seller!  Another TBR book on my ever-growing stack of books!

Interested in being a contributor for this blog? Contact me via email link on my website home page (www.JillHannahAnderson.com) at jilla27@gmail.com. 
You will also find the list of upcoming contributors under the Fridayfictionfriend tab.  I'd love to hear from you if you have a great book to recommend.



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for inviting me to share this today, Jill. Seriously loved this book. Recommended it for one of my book clubs. We are reading it this spring. ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any book that takes place mostly in a bookstore sounds interesting to me, Wendy! I'm so glad you recommended this book as I've read how popular it is, but had no idea what the story was about.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like one to add to my future reading list! Thanks Jill for starting this….I am developing a list from the books recommended. Guess it's a good thing I have this summer off from college!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this blog is helping you build your TBR book stack, Laura! :)

      Delete