Friday, March 13, 2015

CUTTING FOR STONE, by author, ABRAHAM VERGHESE, recommended by book lover, Dr. Arlene O'Connor

Author / Writer / or Book Lover?
A.O. ~ Book lover

Title of Fiction book & year published 
Cutting for Stone, published in 2010

Author name          
Abraham Verghese

Type of book 
Fictional autobiography

What is it about this book that pulled you in?
A.O.~ I am attracted to books that portray life in other countries and cultures.  Not only do I enjoy learning about their daily life and customs, but I love to see that regardless of where we reside on this planet, relationships and the bonds we develop with one another are very similar and the core of our human nature.

Is there a relationship in the story that resonated with you?
A.O. ~ The book is narrated by a son who lost his mother during childbirth and was raised, along with his twin brother, in a missionary hospital in Ethiopia.  As a mother, I was touched by the fact that these 2 boys were orphaned and abandoned shortly after their birth yet an entire community came together to raise them as their own.

The story weaves the lives of many people, including the boys’ adoptive parents, the hospital staff and the community at large.  Characters are developed very well and I felt I intimately knew them, almost as if I were a relative.

Do you think that relationship was portrayed realistically?    
A.O. ~ Yes!  The author did a great job at developing the characters including their idiosyncrasies and nuances.  With that, the characters came alive and became real people.  The interactions between parents and child, friends, husband and wife etc. were very realistic and portrayed a believable life.


Anything else you want to tell us without giving away too much of the plot?
A.O. ~ This is a great and interesting read.  Narrated from the wound and throughout adulthood this story is different and entertaining, touching and redeeming all at once.

Attention readers Have YOU read this book?  If so, tell us what YOU thought of it!

***To leave a comment - Click the red 'comment' word below photo of book.

JHA ~ Thanks so much, Arlene, for taking the time to recommend one of your favorite reads! This has long been on my TBR list, and I need to take the time to read it!

To follow this weekly book blog, just click the "Follow by email" link on the right side of this page, or sign up on my website through blogger or google plus.

Interested in being a contributor? Contact me via email at jilla27@gmail.com. You will also find the list of upcoming contributors under the Fridayfictionfriend tab.  I'd love to hear from you if you have a great book to recommend.






15 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book. Def worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had this book from the library months ago, and it is such a long read, I ended up having to return it before I got a chance to read it. Of course I'm now on a long waiting list again for it at the library! (I probably just need to buy the darn thing.) :)

      Delete
    2. Jill I May have a copy you can borrow. Once you start reading you won't put it down

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Susan, I'd love it. Still kicking myself for not reading the library book when I had a chance!

      Delete
  2. I bought this book a while ago since one of my book club friends raved about it, but I haven't read it yet! I really need to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard the same thing, Fauntel, and just need to allow myself enough time to read it. It has wonderful reviews!

      Delete
  3. Arlene, I found it interesting that the author is in the medical field. Is his medical knowledge entwined in this story at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, yes. In fact, I've never read another book in which the character's profession (and in this case the author's) is such an integral part of the story. Many readers find the medical procedures to be too graphic and tangential. They are graphic indeed but in my opinion, not for shock value. And I did not find them tangential at all. The main characters are all surgeons and part of the beauty of this book is that their daily, mundane lives (surgery and all) is described. The characters are passionate about medicine and their desire to help others fuel their desire for more knowledge, all of which is described in the book. It is no mystery both sons grew up to be doctors tgemselves.

      Delete
  4. Jill, yes. In fact, I've never read another book in which the character's profession (and in this case the author's) is such an integral part of the story. Many readers find the medical procedures to be too graphic and tangential. They are graphic indeed but in my opinion, not for shock value. And I did not find them tangential at all. The main characters are all surgeons and part of the beauty of this book is that their daily, mundane lives (surgery and all) is described. The characters are passionate about medicine and their desire to help others fuel their desire for more knowledge, all of which is described in the book. It is no mystery both sons grew up to be doctors tgemselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've certainly convince me, Arlene, that not only will I love this book, my husband will too! Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention as it is one I never got around to reading. Now I will!

      Delete
  5. n't be afraid by the number of pages. It actually is an easy read because the characters are so well developed you feel you know them. It used to be that when I got engrossed in a book I'd read it quickly in 2-3 days. However, as my kids have gotten older I find my down time rapidly diminishing to the point that it took me almost 3 months to finish this book. However, it was easy to pick up each time and continue the story. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, Arlene. I think of one of my all-time favorite books, THE KITCHEN HOUSE, it was a long novel, and I had to read it in bursts, but still had no problem picking it back up and loved it.

      Delete
  6. It's a wonderful story and beautifully written. I am drawn to stories that involve medicine in any way and this one written against the background of struggle in Ethiopia has a powerful plot and characters that pull you in. Amazing that Dr. Verghese had the time to write it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Beth. I've found I'm drawn to stories about medicine too, probably because I know so little about it and I find it amazing at all the wealth of knowledge these caregivers know to save lives or make people's lives better. And yes, I'm amazed he found time to write!

      Delete
  7. Arlene I too love to read about other cultures. how different do you think these boys lives would be if they were born in the US under the same circumstances?

    ReplyDelete