Friday, March 6, 2015

MEMOIRS OF AN IMAGINARY FRIEND, by MATTHEW DICKS, recommended by writer, Orly Konig-Lopez

Author / Writer / Book Lover - which are you?
OKL ~ Writer and book addict

Title and year published
Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend, published in 2012

Author name
Matthew Dicks

Type of book 
Contemporary fiction

What is it about this book that pulled you in?
OKL ~ First, how can anyone resist the idea of a story told by an imaginary friend? Oh the secrets they carry!
But I also have a child in elementary school and this story dealt with many issues that all parents face – whether your child is autistic or not.

Is there a relationship in the story that resonated with you?
OKL ~ That’s a tough one actually. The relationship between Max and his imaginary friend Budo was amazing. We moved several times when I was young and each time it was to another country where I had to learn a new language and, as an only child, I relied on my imaginary friend for company a lot of the time.

But it was the friendships between Budo and the other imaginary friends that delivered so many of the emotional punches in the book.

Do you think that relationship was portrayed 
OKL ~ Well, we’re talking about a relationship with a made up friend. But yes, I think it was. At least for those who admit to having imaginary friends. J

Anything else you want to tell us about the book without giving away too much of the plot? 
OKL ~ A year after reading this book, I still get a knot in my stomach every time I drop my child off at the elementary school.

If author or writer, your social media links:
Twitter: @OrlyKonigLopez


Attention readers Have YOU read this book?  If so, tell us what YOU thought of it!

***To leave a comment - Click the red 'comment' word below photo of book.

JHA ~ Thanks so much, Orly, for taking the time to recommend one of your favorite reads! I'm adding this to my TBR list of books!

To follow this weekly book blog, just click the "Follow by email" link on the right side of this page, or sign up on my website through blogger or google plus.  

Interested in being a contributor? Contact me via email at jilla27@gmail.com. You will also find the list of upcoming contributors under the Fridayfictionfriend tab.  I'd love to hear from you if you have a great book to recommend.



9 comments:

  1. Orly, as the mother of a daughter with FOUR imaginary friends (two of them even moved with us!) I find this very interesting. Those friends were as real to her as her own younger sister. This sounds like a very interesting read, and one I will have to share with my oldest daughter!
    Is this a book for teens to read too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recommend reading it first but yes, I think teens could read it.
      The discussion about what to do if someone wants you to leave with them is universal for all kids, in my opinion.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this book—thanks for the introduction. I had an imaginary friend as a child. Okay, it was a purple dinosaur, but he lived on my porch and I talked to him daily, so that counts, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, Kerry, that sounds like Barney! Just think, you could have invented him and made a lot of $$ :) I hadn't heard of this book either, I'm glad Orly recommended it.

      Delete
    2. I've had a few imaginary friends. My parents went so far once as to humor me with a birthday for one ... we bought him a gift and went in search of his house. Sadly, I didn't have the actual invitation and couldn't remember the address. We walked quite a few blocks around our London neighborhood that day. ;-)

      And seriously, Kerry, can you imagine if you'd written about that friend of yours first! :-)

      Delete
  3. What an interesting perspective to tell a story from! I too had an imaginary friend as a kid....didn't last long, but he was good company when I needed him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most of us can relate to having an imaginary friend but to picture how our imaginary friends see us is amazing!

      Delete
    2. I thought my oldest daughter would dump her imaginary friends when her little sister was big enough to play with. We moved when she was almost five, and two of them moved with us! One hung around for a long time. I think imaginary friends are great - they don't eat our food, make a mess in our house, sass...

      Delete