Friday, April 24, 2015

ANIMAL DREAMS, by author, BARBARA KINGSOLVER, recommended by writer, Janet Rundquist

Author / Writer / Book Lover - which are you?
JR ~ Book lover, writer, and almost author

Title of Fiction book & year published
Animal Dreams 1990

Author name
Barbara Kingsolver

Type of book 
Women’s Fiction

What is it about this book that pulled you in?
JR ~ The protagonist’s sister travels to Nicaragua to help with crop rejuvenation after (well, during) the civil war in the 1980s. I was living in Nicaragua when I read this book (in 1995) so that probably had a lot to do with it. However, it wasn’t the sister that I could relate to, but the protagonist herself, Codi. I feel so much like Codi and understand her struggle to find her place in her own life story.

Is there a relationship in the story that resonated with you?
JR ~ Though we see the complicated relationship that Codi, the protagonist, has with her sister, her father, and her boyfriend, it is really the relationship she has with the town she grew up in that struck a chord with me.

Do you think that relationship was portrayed realistically?
JR ~ This relationship with the town felt authentic. As Codi grew up in the small town of Grace, Arizona, there were many factors that made her feel an outsider. As she returns to this town, she takes those memories with her and struggles with her own inability to accept that she need not be an outsider anymore.

Anything else you want to tell us about the book?
JR ~ Kingsolver, especially in her more recent works, focuses on themes of nature. This book is probably the birth of those themes with her stories, as well as mixing in a bit of social justice (which is also what pulled me in). At times her situational juxtapositions are a little forced in their metaphorical nature, but even after re-reading again just recently (for the 3rd or 4th time), I was able to overlook it. Frankly, I probably only really noticed because since my last read, I’ve written a couple books of my own. Ha.

A friend of mine uses the “did it make you laugh, think, and cry” meausure for good storytelling, and this definitely does all three for me.

Truly, Kingsolver’s prose is beautiful. If you read only one of her books, this should be the one.
  
If author or writer, your social media links:
http://jmarierundquist.com

JHA ~ Thanks so much, Janet, for recommending this book! It sounds great, and I've been meaning to pick up one of Barbara's novels. It sounds like this should be the one!

Attention readers ~ Have YOU read this book?  If so, tell us what YOU thought of it!

***To leave a comment - Click the red 'comment' word below photo of book.
To follow this weekly book blog, just click the "Follow by email" link on the right side of this page, or sign up on my website through blogger or google plus.  

Interested in being a contributor? Contact me via email at jilla27@gmail.com. 
You will also find the list of upcoming contributors under the Fridayfictionfriend tab.  I'd love to hear from you if you have a great book to recommend.



4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful book, Janet! If it makes me laugh, think, and cry, I can't wait to read it! Have you read other books by this author?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read most, yes. Her themes and style have changed a bit over the course of her novels, but her prose remains consistently beautiful.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read this one by Barbara. She is a campion of nature; all of us in our own way should be too. I wonder if her time in Africa which lead to THE POISONWOOD BIBLE had anything to do with a spark that led her to honor and want to explore nature. Thanks for sharing this book, Janet.

    ReplyDelete