Friday, May 8, 2015

A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY, by author, JOHN IRVING, recommended by book lover, Ginny McDonald

Author / Writer / Book Lover - which are you?
GM ~ I am a book lover!!!

Title of Fiction book & year published
A Prayer for Owen Meany  - published 1989
  
Author name
John Irving

Type of book
It’s hard for me to classify. Coming of age, memoir...friendship story

What is it about this book that pulled you in?
GM ~ The back of the book says it is Irving’s most comic novel yet and that Owen is a heartbreaking character. I wanted to find out more about the combination of comedy and heartbreak. Then when I read the first line about John being “doomed” to remember Owen and how he became what he was because of Owen; I had to keep reading.

Is there a relationship in the story that resonated with you? 
GM ~ The relationship between John and Owen starts as boys and continues into young adulthood. They are both only children; John is being raised by a single mother and his grandmother and they are one of the towns most distinguished families and Owen lives simply with his parents at the granite quarry. Owen and John go to school together. Owen’s small stature and strange voice make him an object of curiosity. He thinks he is “God’s Instrument” and it turns out that he is.

Do you think that relationship was portrayed realistically?
GM ~  Yes, the boys are very close and remain so.

Anything else you want to tell us about the book?
GM ~ The story is told by John as an adult and all of Owen’s dialog is in CAPITAL LETTERS. The book has many fun and funny scenes involving a host of characters from the town as well as John’s family. Owen accidentally kills John’s mother hitting a foul ball during a baseball game. They try to find out who John’s father really is. They go to a fancy boarding school together and Owen causes trouble. I had a hard time putting this book down. I just wanted to find out what was going to happen next.


JHA ~ Thanks so much, Ginny, for recommending this book! I bought it last year and haven't read it yet.  I need to move it to the top of my TBR stack!

Attention readers Have YOU read this book?  If so, tell us what YOU thought of it!

***To leave a comment - Click the red 'comment' word below photo of book.
To follow this weekly book blog, just click the "Follow by email" link on the right side of this page, or sign up on my website through blogger or google plus.  

Interested in being a contributor? Contact me via email at jilla27@gmail.com. 
You will also find the list of upcoming contributors under the Fridayfictionfriend tab.  I'd love to hear from you if you have a great book to recommend.






2 comments:

  1. John Irving is an amazing writer. The Cider House Rules is my favorite. His brain is loaded with fascinating ideas that he jams together in creating his worlds. Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that movie, Beth, but haven't read the book. Another one to add to my TBR stack I guess!

      Delete