Friday, January 9, 2015

GREEN CITY IN THE SUN, by author, Barbara Woods, recommended by book lover, Mary Havenor

Author / Writer / Book Lover - which are you?
Book Lover

Title of Fiction book and year it was published
Green City in the Sun   -    1988

Author name
Barbara Wood       (Do you have any questions or comments for Barbara? She is hoping to stop by today and answer them!)

Type of book
Historical Fiction

What is it about this book that pulled you in?

MH ~ This was my third read of this book.  It was given to me as a Christmas gift around 1988/1989 by a guy who was a very good friend and who later became my husband.  He obviously knew me well because this became one of my all-time favorite books.  This was probably the first book I ever read about Africa and I was immediately fascinated with that era and country. Since I am not a very adventurous person in real life this pulled me in and allowed me to immerse myself in the lives and history of these families in Kenya. It started my love affair with reading novels/memoirs about Africa, of which I have read many since this one.

Is there a relationship in the story that resonated with you?

MH ~ I found myself being pulled back and forth between agreeing with the English Dr. Treverton who only felt she was helping the Africans, (especially some of their barbaric customs regarding woman) to agreeing with the Africans, in that they should not have had so much modernization thrust on them and their traditions taken away from them. 

Do you think that relationship was portrayed realistically?

MH ~ Yes, I think this fictional account really did a good job of portraying the true history of what actually occurred in Kenya during this era.

Anything else you want to tell us about the book without giving away too much of the plot?

MH ~ This book has a little bit of everything in it; history, love affairs, scandal, mystery and it takes you into the beauty of Africa.

JHA ~ Thanks so much, Mary, for recommending this book.  I loved this author's book DOMINA, and will have to check this one out! 

Attention readers Have YOU read this book?  If so, tell us what YOU thought of it!

Interested in being a contributor? Contact me via email link on my website home page (www.JillHannahAnderson.com) at jilla27@gmail.com. 
You will also find the list of upcoming contributors under the Fridayfictionfriend tab.  I'd love to hear from you if you have a great book to recommend.

To follow our weekly book recommendations by guests, just click the "Follow by email" link on the right side of this page, or sign up on my website through blogger or google plus.  



11 comments:

  1. This book sounds very interesting, Mary, and after reading Barbara Wood's book, DOMINA (one of my all-time favorites) I am looking forward to checking this novel of hers out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear there are other Barbara Wood fans! I found a copy of Domina and it is at the top of my reading list.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this book on the blog.. Mary, could you say just a little more about what is taking place in Kenya in this book without giving too much away? I plan to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes place at the time of change when the British are starting to move into Kenya. Mostly based around a wealthy British family which includes a woman doctor and her brother who starts a coffee plantation. The story also centers around several generations of an African family and how their lives collide. Murder, romance, and war are all included!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for introducing me to this book and its author. I am adding it to my list of must-reads. And thanks to Mary and Jill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful historical novel. You will fall in love with Africa!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Mary, for suggesting my book. I can't tell you how flattered I am! And your kind praise has quite made my day. I think I shall have difficulty getting through doorways today, my head has swelled so!

      And thank you also, Jill, for hosting this wonderful blog. I will definitely recommend it to friends.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much, Barbara, for stopping by. I appreciate it! I created this blog last fall because there are so many good books out there, and not enough time for me to read them all. Since people were always asking me to recommend books, I figured what better way than to have a blog where a diverse group can give their input and personal recommendations! :)

      Delete
    4. Sounds like a great story.

      Delete
    5. Barbara thanks for writing such a wonderful story. I am looking forward to Domina and checking out many of the other books you have written.

      Delete
  4. The book sounds intriguing. Thanks for your recommendation

    ReplyDelete