Friday, January 30, 2015

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, by author, Harper Lee, recommended by author, Kathleen Irene Paterka

Author / Writer / Book Lover - which are you?

KIP ~ I’m a published author of women’s fiction novels, and I’ve always loved reading books. My ‘day job’ is as staff writer at a real American castle.

Title of Fiction book and year it was published

To Kill a Mockingbird, published in 1960

Author name

Harper Lee

Type of book

Literary Fiction

What is it about this book that pulled you in?

KIP ~ I first read To Kill a Mockingbird as a homework assignment in 7th grade. The simple narrative voice of Scout, the six year old girl who tells the story, hooked me from the start. I immediately settled in to immerse myself in the childhood world of Scout, her brother Jem, their friend Dill, and the idea they have of making the town’s mysterious recluse, Boo Radley, come out. Set during the Great Depression in the sleepy little southern town of Macomb, Alabama, the story revolves around the adventures of the three children while also telling the tale of a trial which consumes the town. Tom Robinson, a black man, has been charged with raping a white woman, and is put on trial. Scout’s father, Atticus Finch (probably the best known lawyer in the world, fictional or not), agrees to defend Robinson.

Is there a relationship in the story that resonated with you?

KIP ~ Scout’s relationship with her father (‘Atticus’, as she and Jem call him) is very special. He loves his children dearly and wants to protect them from the horrors of the adult world, including racial prejudice, ignorance, poverty, social inequality and injustice. But in accepting the duty of defending a black man charged with raping a white woman, Atticus knows he can protect his children only so far; they’ll hear and see things before, during and after the trial that will affect them forever. Scout, too, is very protective of her father. She even defends his honor one day by fighting a young boy in the schoolyard.

Do you think that relationship was portrayed realistically?

KIP ~ Absolutely. Atticus remains the father figure, but his heart is wide open, and he learns from his children, especially from Scout. And by watching and listening as Atticus takes on the challenge of defending a man no one else will, Scout (plus her brother Jem) learns what true courage and compassion mean. Author Harper Lee modeled the character of Attitus after her own father, a southern trial lawyer in the sleepy little town of Monroeville, Alabama. My husband and I visited Monroeville in September 2014. The original courthouse and courtroom where Lee’s father practiced law has been preserved, and now houses a museum.

Anything else you want to tell us about the book without giving away too much of the plot?

To Kill a Mockingbird was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 1961.


If author or writer, your social media links:

Twitter:           https://twitter.com/KPaterka
Pinterest:         http://www.pinterest.com/kathleenpaterka/
Website:          http://www.kathleenirenepaterka.com


JHA ~ Thank you so much, Kathleen, for taking the time to recommend a classic. I'm probably the last person on earth who hasn't read it - yet!  I promise to add it to my TBR stack of books!

Attention readers Have YOU read this book?  If so, tell us what YOU thought of it!

To follow our weekly book recommendations, just click the "Follow by email" link on the right side of this page, or sign up on my website through blogger or google plus.  




14 comments:

  1. Hi Jill, thanks so much for hosting me today, and showcasing one of my absolute favorite books of all time - TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. It's a beautiful book; no matter how many times I read it, I take away something new from the story. I do hope you have a chance to read it soon. ~ Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to just buy this classic, Kathleen, so I can read it, and my family too. Thanks for recommending it, as I've heard many times what a wonderful book it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen, thank you for featuring this book. I have never read the book but will always remember the story from the movie. It greatly affected me as I lived through the Civil Rights struggles. I am very interested in reading the book as I am sure the story has more depth than the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I definitely recommend reading the book. The film is brilliant, but the story is so rich in details that could not be portrayed on the screen... there simply wasn't time. Both the movie and book are told through a child's point of view (Scout), which lends to the simplicity and innocence of the novel. Little wonder that Lee won the Pulitzer Prize.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, awesome book! I've read it more than once over the years and it still draws me in every time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, I totally agree with you re: 'AWESOME, AWESOME BOOK'. There's something about it that makes it one of the 'great American novels'... When Harper Lee was asked why she'd never written another book, she said, "I wouldn't go through the pressure and publicity I went through with TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD for any amount of money... plus, I have said what I wanted to say and I will not say it again." The novel touches on so many levels of human emotions, I understand Lee's reluctance to tackle another book. Thank you for stopping by to chat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, now I REALLY need to get my hands on a copy of this book! when I hear from others they've read the book more than once, it sounds like one I definitely need to buy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, the character of 'Dill' is based on Truman Capote (who wrote BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, plus IN COLD BLOOD). He spent the summers at his aunt's house in Monroeville, AL. His aunt lived next door to Harper Lee's family, and she and Truman grew up together. They had a falling out after she won the Pulitzer, but eventually reconciled before his death. And yes, you REALLY NEED to read the book. Try your local library if it's not on Kindle. But I guarantee you that any bookstore in America has a copy available.

      Delete
  8. One of my all time favorite books. I believe my oldest son will be reading it yet this school year and I'm really looking forward to his thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet, I envy your son, being able to do a 'first read' of MOCKINGBIRD. Yet, even after all the times I've read it, I still take away something new from the book. One thing I found interesting when my husband and I visited Monroeville, AL last September: the city has an annual spring production of the book, with a local theater group (comprised of city residents) playing the characters. The 'trial' takes place in the actual courtroom where Harper Lee's father defended clients. 2015 will be the 26th reenactment. It's a sell-out every year. If I lived closer, I would definitely attend. It's my understanding that Harper Lee herself (normally a recluse) actually attended one year, and said the players had done a good job.

      Delete
  9. Of course it's one of my very favorite and its message echoes more and more each year. It has been chosen in states like Illinois and Iowa as fiction choice of the year. Most high schools use it to teach excellent writing, memorable characters and the message of equality and honesty. So glad you chose this one, Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we'd have read it in high school, Beth, instead of some of the other "classics" they had us read, which I felt weren't that great! It is too bad she didn't write another book, but it sounds like there would have been very high expectations of Harper Lee.

      Delete
    2. Beth, thanks for chatting about MOCKINGBIRD. Oprah Winfrey calls it "our National Novel", and I agree with her. Harper Lee was quoted in 1964 as being 'stunned' that the book had even sold. "I had hoped for a quick and merciful death at the hands of reviewers," Lee told a reporter, "but at the same time, I sort of hoped that maybe someone would like it enough to give me some encouragement." Lee's sister, Alice, mentioned, "She (Harper) says you couldn't top what she had done. She told one of our cousins who asked her, 'I haven't anywhere to go but down.' " Does that not speak to a writer's fear of rejection? Even someone of the caliber of Harper Lee fears criticism.

      MOCKINGBIRD is the perfect American novel. Jill, I am looking forward to hearing what you think once you read the book.

      Thanks for hosting me on your blog!

      ~ Kathleen

      Delete
    3. Thanks for recommending this classic, Kathleen, and bringing it to light again. It is on my list of books to buy. :)

      Delete