Friday, January 2, 2015

WILD, by Cheryl Strayed, recommended by author, Lorrie Thomson

Author / Writer / Book Lover - which are you?

LT ~ I’ve been a book lover since childhood, a writer since I began writing novels thirteen years ago, and an author since my debut, Equilibrium, came out in September, 2013.


Title of Fiction book and year published

Wild, 2012


Author name          Type of book

Cheryl Strayed         Memoir

(JA ~ Normally, we focus on fiction, but this is perfect timing with the movie recently released.  Plus, I was sucked in once I realized Cheryl grew up in a MN town an hour from where I live now!)


What is it about this book that pulled you in?

LT ~ Let it be known, I’m a sucker for a strong voice. From Strayed’s first paragraph, where she describes accidentally losing a hiking boot along the Pacific Crest Trail, and then deliberately tossing the other boot over a cliff and into the abyss, she had me. The event works as a metaphor for Strayed’s entire journey, representing everything that happened before she hit the trail, and then the conscious but extreme decision to hike 1,100 miles alone.

What kept me reading? The way Strayed takes ownership of everything she did to herself after her mother’s death, without an ounce of self-pity.


Is there a relationship in the story that resonated with you?

LT ~ Strayed’s mother was the love of her life, but she didn’t need to state it outright. Every word, every action, drips with grief and how-can-I-be-here-without-her. There’s a scene along the trail where Strayed tries to summon rage for her mother, something, anything to snuff out the love. But reciting a litany of her mother’s shortcomings does nothing to soften the pain.


Do you think that relationship was portrayed realistically?

LT ~ Absolutely!  Family relationships are complicated. We’re hardest on those we love. And sometimes we’re hardest on ourselves.


Anything else you want to tell us about the book without giving away too much of the plot?

LT ~ While reading Wild, I was completely, blissfully obsessed with the book. The story wound its way into my head and heart in ways I’m still trying to fathom. So many times, I wanted to jot down Strayed’s words, hard-won trail wisdom. I plan on visiting the pages again soon.


You can connect with Lorrie here:

Visit Lorrie at her website, www.lorrie-thomson.com
Connect with Lorrie on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/lorriethomsonauthor

JA ~ Thank you so much, Lorrie, for taking the time to recommend this great book.  I recently read it, thanks to your recommendation!

Attention readers Have YOU read this book?  If so, tell us what YOU thought of it!

To follow our weekly book recommendations by guests, just click the "Follow by email" link on the right side of this page, or sign up on my website through blogger or google plus.  




9 comments:

  1. Hi Lorrie, I'm curious about the movie compared to the book. I haven't seen the movie yet, how did that compare to the book? Thanks for recommending this very interesting novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the movie, AND I feel the viewing experience was enhanced by having read the book. Reese Witherspoon was phenomenal--she's always phenomenal--but no actor can convey every thought and feeling. There's nothing like a book to make you feel as if you've lived the protagonist's life. I might be a little prejudiced in favor of books. Let's just say, the book and the movie go hand in hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the previews to the movie and it looks good, esp. with Reese in it. I think you are right though, books are almost always better than the movie. Hmmm, I wonder if I'm a little prejudiced about books too! ;)

      Delete
    2. Definitely, you're a book girl! Each medium--book and film--has its unique strengths. Film allows for a more specific experience. To my mind, books are more interactive.

      Delete
    3. Discussing books with book clubs adds another dimension to the reading experience. Whether book or movie, we all come to the story with unique points of view.

      Delete
  3. Hi Lorrie and Jill. I need to read the book, though I am interested in the film You are right, Lorrie, about each medium having their strengths, but I am sure the book has more meat and yes, we have time to pause and examine passages and apply thoughts to our own lives. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book (and likely, the movie) can be pretty gritty at times, but that was the way her life was, and she makes no excuses for the mistakes she makes along the way. Quite a tough person to be able to withstand the PCT like she did. I hope you enjoy it, Beth!

      Delete
    2. Exactly right, Beth. The next time I read the book, I'm planning on jotting down wisdom and attempting to figure out how Strayed got me so completely emotionally invested in the story.

      Delete
  4. I loved the book and thought the movie was also very good. Though I think reading the book first really helped in understanding all of her emotions and the why behind the hike. This book goes in my favorites!

    ReplyDelete